Saturday, May 24, 2008

sam_can

As of right now, I estimate the rotoscoped sections of Pepperland to consist of over 3000 individually painted images. When the film was in it's early stages I was still experimenting with the look so the rotoscope process took considerably more time. As I began streamlining my workflow, I was able to complete a much greater volume of work in each sitting. But after about a year I began slowing down again due to the physical toll my body was taking from rotoscoping so many hours each and every day.

In January of 08 I decided to enlist some help in order to stay on schedule. I decided to recruit from the University of Southern California's Roski School of Fine Arts. Aside from staying on schedule, I was also interested in seeing what someone else would come up with if given a thorough explanation of how the process works, a limited amount of coaching and access to a wide variety of visual references.


ripo

Meggs

haha

The following shot was completely by an excellent artist named Clover. This is the second shot she has completed for the film and is currently working on a third. I wish I had found her sooner. You may find a link to her personal site in the sidebar section of this blog entitled, Links.

2 comments:

anon said...

This is really one huge rotoscoping project. Your shots are really impressive I have to hand it to you. If you need more people to help you with this project, you can go to opensource cinema or kaltura

Ryan Lovelace said...

Thank you very much. It was definitely a lot of work. 2 years of work actually. But the roto portions of the film are 95% complete at this time.