Thursday, July 5, 2007

interviews

I wanted to get interviews from 3 different generations of skaters in the Washington D.C. area for the film. So far I have interviews with Paul McElroy from what I refer to as the middle generation and Rob Spousta from the new generation. I was also hoping to get Chris Hall and Shawn Sheffy from the original crew and Sam Wientzen from the new school click. But when I started editing together the interviews I realized the film was getting too long. In order to have multiple interviews I needed time to establish each individual as a character and give the viewer a reason to listen to them.

So I had to make a judgement call and it changed my film quite a bit. I decided to drop Rob's interview even though he gave me a really great one. I couldn't add more interviews and it didn't seem to make sense to only have 2. So now the story of the film is told by a single interviewee, Paul McElroy.

Paul began skating in D.C. in the early 90s and was a incredible resource when I first began planning this film. I really lucked out when I got an interview with him. It was over Christmas break of 2006. I was supposed to head back to the west coast the day before classes started but Paul and I were finally able to link up and do a sit down. The only problem was that I had to reschedule my flight back and I ended up missing a couple classes. But it turned out to be the right decision because he was able to provide me with a great interview and all the information I needed to make this film.




Paul McElroy


Rob Spousta

No comments: